Saw the “Madness” signs all around Malcom Hall; it seems that the theme this year is the 80’s. Now, that was a great decade—as in, a GREAT DECADE!
Ten things I remember about the 80’s:
1. Marcos’s butt being kicked all the way to Hawaii;
2. Tears for Fears ! (a great band; even if they were said to be looney tunes, they sounded great, especially on "Everybody wants to rule the world")
3. U2, Live at Red Rocks (not the one at Scout Tobias)!!!
4. Watching live bands at Red Rocks, Scout Tobias (the precursor of Club Dredd; where bands like Deans December--featuring a then already howling Binky Lampano--Razorback, E-heads would play and where, occasionally, a very single, very young, very pretty Dawn Zulueta would show up to watch the bands play)
5. Gold! Always believe in your soul . . .
6. Bagets! (Great movie; original, inventive, and hip at that time)
7. Rallies at Mendiola
8. Lining up veeeery early to enroll at UP
9. Watching APO hiking society concerts at Ateneo and waiting for "American Junk" so we could raise our clenched fists and thumb our noses at american imperialism;
10. Michael Jackson, when he was both black and bad! (Now, he’s just weird.)
10. Listening to Lean Alejandro address a rally;
10. Major Tom (the song);
10. Parties at Corinthian;
10. Our House . . . in the middle of the street;
10. Marx for Beginners, Lenin for Beginners, Nicaragua for Beginners, etc
The list can go on. . . .That was a great decade.